Fish collagen supplements are a type of dietary supplement that contains a purified form of the protein collagen. Collagen is the primary structural protein in animals, and it helps to support tissue strength, elasticity, and integrity.
Fish collagen supplements are typically derived from fish scales or skin—and thus may be an appropriate source of dietary collagen for vegans and vegetarians. It is a popular supplement that contains collagen peptides, and it’s often used as a skin care product.
Qualities Of A Good Fish Collagen Supplement
- A good fish collagen supplement will be made from fresh, high-quality fish. You should be able to tell where it’s from, and know that it is fresh. The flavor of your supplement should be mild and not overpowering—if you can taste the fishiness, leave it on the shelf and search for another option.
- Another important factor is the stability of the product. You don’t want to take a supplement that is going to break down after just a few minutes in your stomach. Choose something that has been tested by third-party laboratories and proven to be stable in the body over time.
- A good fish collagen supplement should be made from wild-caught fish that are sustainably harvested. It’s also important to look for products that are free of contaminants and other harmful substances.
- Look at the label and make sure it contains a decent amount of protein—around 25 grams per serving is ideal.
How To Pick The Best Collagen Supplements
- Make sure that your Marine collagen supplement is made from 100% pure collagen—not just collagen peptides or hydrolyzed collagen. These are not the same as pure collagen and should be avoided.
- Look for a supplement that contains a high enough concentration of bioavailable amino acids (the building blocks of your body’s proteins). If your supplement contains only small amounts of these amino acids, then it won’t be able to deliver any real benefits to your body.
- Look for a brand that has been around for a while. This will ensure that they have been able to establish a reputation for themselves and provide high-quality products.
- Do your research! Look at customer reviews online and ask around to see what other people think of the brand. You want to be sure you’re choosing something that people love!
- Make sure there are no hidden ingredients in the product. Some things like soy or dairy can cause allergic reactions in some people and shouldn’t be present in your supplement. Make sure there aren’t any of these ingredients before purchasing!
- Look for one that contains vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body absorb collagen, so look for a product with at least 10% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C in each serving. You can also find supplements that have extra vitamin C added to them. That’s even better!
- Make sure it has enough protein in it to support muscle growth and repair—at least 20 grams per serving should be enough for most people. The amount will depend on how much activity you do every day.